~~The giveaway is now CLOSED. Congrats to winner Heather~~Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is commemorating the Academy Awards legacy with its annual 31 DAYS OF OSCAR® festival in February! The 2011 edition of the month-long event will feature more than 340 Academy Award®-nominated and winning movies, scheduled in trivia-inspired marathons. In addition, each night will feature a Best Picture Oscar winner at 10 p.m. ET.
The annual event is hosted by TCM host Robert Osborne, who is also the official biographer of the Academy Awards and the Academy's red carpet greeter. It started on February 1st leading with Eskimo (1963) and Citizen Kane (’41) and will conclude with Jane Fonda’s California Suite on March 3rd. Check out the interactive schedule below for a complete list.
Welcoming its 17th year on Turner Classic Movies, 31 Days of Oscar, the 2011 edition features several high-profile films making their debuts on TCM, including three Best Picture winners: Cavalcade (1933), Amadeus (1984) and Forrest Gump (1994). It also includes the TCM debuts of the blockbusters Pretty Woman (1990) and Thelma & Louise (1991), as well as outstanding dramas like Hugh Hudson's Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984), Hector Babenco's Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985), Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing (1989) and Michael Mann's Ali (2001).
Among the month's many interesting marathons are a collection of films starring Jack Nicholson, the most nominated performer of all time; four films that received nominations in all four acting categories; an entire day featuring all ten Best Picture nominees for Hollywood's Golden Year, 1939, including Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz; a day of romantic comedies on Valentine's Day; a night of Oscar firsts; a slate of films that earned Best Director nominations but failed to earn Best Picture nods; and a night of films that earned participants posthumous nominations.
The Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2010 will be presented live on Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center® and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation will also be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.
To get you in the mood for the big event, TCM has generously offered to give one of my lucky readers a 31 Days of Oscar Prize Pack, including a 7-Pack DVD's of the movies of her choice! The winner may choose 7 movies from TCM's "Best Picture" list (see the schedule above). There will be one winner per week until Feb 27th! So remember to come back and enter every week.
Required Entry: It's different from my regular giveaways. To enter, fill out this form with your answer to the movie trivia below. Please DO NOT leave your answer in the comment. Only correct answers are eligible to win. But I promise the answer is going to be easy to find.
This scene of Betty Hutton and Howard Keel in this 1950's movie that made this song famous, among others: "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" Name this movie! Get your hint here.
Extra Entries (optional): please make sure you do the required entry first! Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry, i.e. 1 comment=1 entry.
- Follow TCM on Facebook and leave your FB name (1 extra entry)
- Follow TCM on Twitter and leave your Twitter handle (1 extra entry)
- Follow my blog publicly via Google Friends Connect (1 extra entry)
- Subscribe to my feed via email and leave your email address (1 extra entry)
- Follow Me on Twitter AND tweet the following message (1 extra entry per day) Yes! You may tweet once daily to increase your chances:
Please leave the link to your tweet in your comment.
- Join itsThoughtful via this link and leave your user name (5 extra entries) New signups only. You must confirm your membership for your entry to count.
- "Like" me on Facebook and leave your name (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Networked Blogs and leave your name (1 extra entry)
- Add me as your friend on Facebook and leave your name (1 extra entry)
- Grab my button and tell me where to find it (1 extra entry)
- Blog about this giveaway and link back to this post. Then leave the link in your comment (1 extra entry for mentioning this giveaway on your blog; 3 extra entries for a separate blog post).
Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm Pacific Time on 2/13/11
Open to US Residents Only
Winner will be chosen using random.org and will have 72 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
Thanks for entering and good luck!
Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation for hosting this giveaway. The sponsor will be solely responsible for delivering the prize directly to the winner.